Saturday, November 22, 2008

Shelby, Shelby, Shelby.....

Shelby.hospital

Seems like an appropriate title after the past few days. A week ago yesterday, Shelby wanted me to go with her (and Mommy) to Swedes (another hospital in town) as she was to have an upper G.I. There was some fuss made, but for the most part, Shelby did what she had to do....drink the barium, not once, but twice. Once while surrounded by a huge machine (intimidating to most) and several technicians and a doctor. I was impressed with her spunk and how taking the many x-rays (we had to wait for it to work its way through!) became a game.

Tuesday she (and Mom & Dad) went to Chicago to see the drs. at Children's and have an abdominal ultrasound. I saw her before she (they) left and it was "old hat" to her. Cheerful Shelby who had been without food and water since the evening before took it all in stride.

Thursday, I picked her up from school about 11 a.m. as she was to begin "the clean-out" for the upper endoscopy and colonoscopy schedule for the next day. When I arrived, she was sitting at the school secretary's desk with pink reader glasses on. When I walked in, Shelby said, "Can I help you?" I said I was Shelby Martin's grandma and I was here to pick her up. Shelby took off the glasses and said, "here I am, Grandma!" Shelby has the school staff charmed too. We went to her house and Mommy handed her the first dose. Shelby said, "Grandma, it tastes like Sprite." Oh, baby..... by the time the 3rd dose was needed, Shelby called me on the phone, "Grammie, I can't do it!" We talked, me at one end and Jenn at the other, and got her to take the 3rd dose. By this time, she was not feeling the best from the effects. At 11 p.m., I had been called to their house. Shelby had a temp of 104.8 and was headed for the ER. They admitted her pretty much right away and put her on i.v. antibiotics. By 8:30 the next morning, the fever was gone.

The anesthesiologist did not want to sedate her after the high fever and elevated white count, so she did another day of ice chips and popsicles. Special friends & family and her school principal came to visit. This morning, the tests were finally done and at this point all looks well. Jenn posted that she wiped a "single tear" as they left Shelby "asleep" for the test, and brave Shelby did what she had to do.

Papa, the sisters and I arrived to visit after she had returned to her room. She was playing computer games, fine with it all. Sure, she'd like to be home, but ..... Riley crawled in bed with her and the two chatted and played games. Shelby's friend, Kate, called and we listened to their conversation about boys and who likes who (aren't you supposed to have this conversation when you are 16, not 6!?!). Her resiliency ..... it amazes me!!!

Shelby, you are an inspiration. I wish I could take this all away from you. But since, I can't, I'm proud to be your Grandma. God love you, special little girl!! (Enjoy the pictures I took this morning.)

No comments: