Friday, February 22, 2008

60 years of marriage

Sixty years ago today, my parents were married. Of these sixty years, Mom and Dad shared 52 years, 8 months, and 27 days. My Dad died November 18, 2000. As their oldest child, I have been reflecting on the 58 years, 5 months and 18 days I shared with them. Not that I remember much of those first few years, but different events have been floating through my memory these past few days.

A couple of weeks ago in my continued effort to organize around here, I found several video tapes unmarked. When I checked them, I discovered they were copies of some video taken at the 50th wedding anniversary celebration we held for my parents 10 years ago. In 1998, February 22nd was on a Sunday. We went to church together and then gathered at Bruns Restaurant in New Lenox with more family and friends for dinner and a little program. I know videotaping the event was not in my thoughts then, but fortunately someone else had the idea. Unfortunately we did not get all the "speeches" taped. I wish we had my uncle's as he was a young teenager when my parents were dating and I remember really enjoying what he shared.

Anyway, I put the video on dvd for my Mom, my brother and my sister and mailed it off for them to view on this day and remember. It was fun (and tearful) to see Dad. He was beginning to have some health issues then. Mom's maid of honor and her husband are now gone. A couple of my aunts are no longer with us. Mom's Uncle George and Aunt Mabel are gone, and a few others I noted. We all looked a little different 10 years ago, especially the grandchildren. It is a fun look back......and an opportunity to remember. I'm glad I found this video.

Happy 60th anniversary Mom & Dad !!! I love you!!

No comments: